Saturday, October 13, 2012

Doctor Who 101

Well, in case you haven't noticed, and I really hope you have because if not it means you neither read my blog nor surf my pinterest boards and that hurts a bit, I've gotten into Doctor Who recently. And I do mean recently, as in maybe a couple of months ago. and I do mean I've really gotten into Doctor Who, in the I-jump-at-sounds-that-could-be-the-TARDIS-rematerializing-I-know-facts-about-every-era-I-own- a-plush-TARDIS-keychain-that-makes-the-VORP-VORP-sounds gotten into.

And it has come to my attention that not all of you are exactly aware of just what Doctor Who really is. May be you vaguely recall a zany, curly haired man with a very long striped scarf from your childhood (as I did), or maybe you've heard your fellow nerds and geeks discussing it during lunch break at various gatherings (again, as I), or perhaps you just spend too much time on the Internet (...yeah. -_-), or perhaps, and this is certainly the worst of the possibilities, you've NEVER heard of Doctor Who. (In which case, I pity you. I dearly pity you...) but not to worry, because there is much to learn and much to be said, and I know many of them the direction in which I may point you.

To put it simply, Doctor Who is a British Television Sci-fi Drama (the longest running Sci-fi drama in the world, with over 32 seasons of television cannon and spanning over 46 years of time. Since 1964, baby.) about a human-like alien known simply as the Doctor, who travels in space and time in near-magic-like blue police box called the TARDIS (a Type 40 TARDIS, to be precise, the last of her kind), a super advanced time/space ship that is far, far bigger on the inside. He hops around the cosmos, doing his best to fix things that go wrong and save people. He travels with passerngers known as companions, often humans (as they are his favorite species), whom he shares his adventures
with, and who protect the Doctor as much as he protects them.

It's completely and utterly awesome. 

I could on and on about the show, but instead I am going to recommend what I feel is the best introduction pretty much anyone could have to the series--this ten minute video by SF Debris, which explains everything you need to know to get started. Enjoy!  (sorry I can't post it directly on the blog, since it's not on YouTube. But here is a link to his site and blip.tv, his chosen video hosting site.)

To the SF Debris site.
To blip.Tv.


Found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment